Follow these links for rural energy issues that do not fit into our other major categories.
- Wisconsin Rural Energy Management Council The Rural Energy Management Advisory Council advises the Wisconsin Department of Trade, Agriculture and Consumer Protection (DATCP), the Wisconsin Public Service Commission and others on issues related to rural electrification, including stray voltage issues.
- RETScreen, a Clean Energy Management Software system for energy efficiency, renewable energy and cogeneration project feasibility analysis as well as ongoing energy performance analysis.There are two separate programs within RETScreen. RETScreen 4 is an Excel-based clean energy project analysis software tool that helps decision makers quickly and inexpensively determine the technical and financial viability of potential renewable energy, energy efficiency and cogeneration projects. RETScreen Plus is a Windows-based energy management software tool that allows project owners to easily verify the ongoing energy performance of their facilities.
MREC Conference Presentations on Other Rural Energy Issues (Cow Comfort, Farm Economics, Current Issues)
Presentations on Cow Comfort:
- Dairy Diagnostics: Robotic Dairy Farm Management, Dan Schultz, Farmer, Taylor, WI (2016)
- Robotic Milking Do’s and Don’ts, Dan Schultz, Farmer, Taylor, WI (2015)
- Overview of Precision Dairy Technologies such as Automated Milking and Calf Feeding, Marcia Endress, University of Minnesota (2015)
- Maximizing Cow Comfort for Maximum Production – Roger Mellenberger, Michigan State University (2014)
- Planning New Dairy Facilities: Building for Cow Comfort, Becky Brotzman, UW Madison Vet School Dairyland Initiative (2013)
Presentations on Farm Economics:
- The Midwest Role in World Dairy Trade, Mark Stephenson, University of Wisconsin-Madison Center for Dairy Profitability (2016)
- Economics of Corn, Beef, Feed, and How it Relates to Energy Issues, Jim Salfer, University of Minnesota Extension (2015)
- Dairy Farm Economics– Gary Sipiorski, Vita Plus Corp (2014)
- Dairy Farm Business Success in Turbulent Times, Robert Milligan, Dairy Strategies LLC (2013)
Presentations on Current Farm Issues:
- Update on Livestock Diseases: Avian Flu and More, Darlene Konkle, WI Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (2016)
- Update on Nuclear Energy and the Clean Power Plan, Paul Wilson, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2016)
- Affect of Fracking Sand Mines on Rural Power Delivery Systems– Larry Loverude , Xcel Energy (2014)
- Food vs. Fuel, Jack Buchanan, MREC Scholar, University of Wisconsin Madison (2012)
Older archived presentations concerning rural energy issues that do not fit into our other major categories:
- Review of Public and Private Organizations and Program Working on Rural Energy Issues and Renewable Energy Development, Jeannette LeBoyer, UW-Madison (2007)
- Biosecurity on Dairy Farms [Handout] , Scott Wells, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota (2002)